Coquina Key was not always known as such. In the late 1800s, it
was known as "Goat Island" although it was a peninsula. Around 1910,
the Lewis Family, owners of one of the first general stores
downtown, bought the land and unsuccessfully attempted to parcel it
for home development.
In 1920, Charles Hall (Lakewood Estates developer) cut a channel from Big Bayou to Little Bayou that transformed the peninsula into an island. At that point, it was called Lewis Island.
In 1955, the Mackle brothers purchased most of the island and started what is today's community.
In 1957, the Mackle brothers sold the land they
did not develop to Irving Gree and Associates who decided to change
the name. Elkcam Boulevard was named for the Mackle family (Elkcam
is Mackle spelled backwards). A contest was held to establish a new
name. St. Petersburg officials selected Coquina Key from 10,000
The Mahaffey family bought property on the southeast end of the island in 1971 and built the first of two apartment complexes. The second was completed in 1979, on the northwest end. In 1973, the City of St. Petersburg acquired the land where the present park rests from the Florida Power Employees Club.
|Non-emergency Police Dept.||893-7780|
|Police District Service Line||551-3181|
|Report Code Violations||893-7373|
|Mayor's Action Center
Code Violations, other issues
|Drug Tip Hotline: anonymous||892-5000|
|Text a Tip||420-8911|